(written from a Production point of view)
- You may also be looking for the comic book adaptation.
In the 24th century, Spock arrives on Veridian III to pay his final respects to his former captain, and greatest friend, James T. Kirk. Kirk risked his life to bring back Spock, but there was no way to bring back Kirk.
In the 23rd century, shortly after the Khitomer Conference (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country), James T. Kirk decides to resign from Starfleet as his old Starfleet Academy nemesis Androvar Drake is appointed commander-in-chief of Starfleet Command. Lacking any drive in his life, Kirk accepts a last chance for adventure with the seductive young Teilani who wants him to protect her paradise planet; so Kirk and Montgomery Scott take the mothballed USS Enterprise-A and head for Chal where a secret Starfleet cabal seek to exploit the planet for all its fountain of youth properties. The rest of the former Enterprise crew hitch a ride on Hikaru Sulu's USS Excelsior and together the crew once again save the Federation. The Enterprise-A is destroyed while defending the Excelsior from Klingon battle cruisers under the direction of Admiral Drake.
Back in the 24th century Spock is preparing to escort Kirk's body back to Earth, when a ray of light emerges from Kirk's grave. Spock approaches it to investigate, and finds, Kirk is gone...
- Co-written by William Shatner, along with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. This is Shatner's first Star Trek collaboration.
- The audiobook version was abridged by George Truett.
- DC Comics released a comic book adaptation of this story.
- James T. Kirk
- Leonard McCoy
- Montgomery Scott
- Hikaru Sulu
- Pavel Chekov
- William T. Riker
- in charge of removing USS Enterprise-D wreckage, Kirk's body and other items from Veridian III in accordance with the Prime Directive
- Carol Marcus
- Androvar Drake
- New Starfleet C-in-C, former Academy classmate and USS Farragut crewmate of Jim Kirk.
- Ensign aboard the Farragut, killed by the Dikironium cloud creature on Tycho IV
- undercover Starfleet Intelligence officer
- Klingon smuggler
- Faith Morgan
- Farragut weapons officer and Kirk's lover, killed by the Dikironium cloud creature on Tycho IV
- Young Klingon/Romulan hybrid who becomes romantically involved with Kirk.
- USS Enterprise-A
- Retired Federation starship. Jim Kirk found the ship taken out of mothballs and sold to Chal, he and Scotty command the vessel with a crew of Chal natives.
- USS Excelsior (NCC-2000)
- Federation starship.
- USS Farragut (NCC-1647)
- Federation starship.
- Planet, homeworld of a colony of Klingon/Romulan hybrids.
- Dark Range Platform
- Ancient space installation, probably from the time of the Preservers. Used as a base for smuggling and other illegal activities.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Star Trek Generations|| Pocket TOS|
|First novel in series|| "Shatnerverse"|