(written from a Production point of view)
The return of Finnegan!
The truth about Bearclaw's attempt on James T. Kirk's life is uncovered by Finnegan. However, Garth of Izar makes one last try to finish Kirk, but an unexpected series of events stops him from completing his work.
Kirk attempts to get back at Finnegan who still displays the childish sense of humor that he did at the Academy. He finally settles the score by beating him at arm-wrestling. Scotty then challenges Finnegan who beats him there and then, something that even Kirk has not managed. Finnegan feigns surprise and leaves but it is clear to everyone that Kirk has been beaten by him once again!
Background Information Edit
- The final chapter in the Who Killed Captain Kirk? storyline, collected in that book.
- This was a sequel to Garth of Izar's original appearance in TOS: "Whom Gods Destroy".
- This was part of Peter David's first storyline as a Star Trek comic book writer.
- At this point in the series, the Paramount Pictures licensing approval for comics was being made stricter, as a result a lot of concepts from Star Trek: The Animated Series were dropped from this and other storylines, as Paramount felt the TAS characters featured in the series thus far, Arex and M'Ress, were going to take focus away from the TOS main characters. This issue featured other non-canon characters that were regular to this series, but were soon to be removed.
- The Pocket TNG novel "Strike Zone" by Peter David mentions the events of this story.
- This story holds almost the same title as the James Joyce novel Finnegans Wake (note the deliberate lack of an apostrophe).
- Based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry
- Writer: Peter David
- Editor: Robert Greenberger
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in DC TOS volume 1 characters.
- James T. Kirk
- USS Enterprise-A captain.
- Vulcan Enterprise-A exec and science officer.
- Leonard McCoy
- Enterprise-A surgeon.
- Enterprise-A communications officer.
- Pavel Chekov
- Enterprise-A and security chief.
- Sean Finnegan
- Federation Security Legion.
- William Bearclaw
- Enterprise-A security ensign.
- Garth of Izar
- An insane, ex-Starfleet officer with a bent for revenge on Kirk.
- USS Enterprise-A
- Refit-type Constitution-class Federation starship.
- Federation Security Legion
- Agency charged with internal investigations of Starfleet.
|Previous issue:||Series||Next issue:|
|#54: "Old Loyalties"||DC TOS volume 1||#56: "A Small Matter of Faith"|