Some of you are aware that we have recently been making changes to domain names. Hosting domains separate from wikia.com puts us at a disadvantage when negotiating with advertisers, which use the single-domain US comScore unique visitor statistic to determine if a site is large enough to work with.
As a result, we need to move the main domain of Memory Alpha on to a *.wikia.com address. We believe that memory-alpha.wikia.com is the best option, but we are happy to discuss others. The old URL will still work as a forward to the new one so no links will be broken. This change won't affect the content, the administration, or the look of the wiki - the only change will be to the URL in the address bar.
We are planning to make this change on Monday, March 2nd. If you have any questions, please post them here. Otherwise, please let me know by then if you would prefer a wikia.com address other than memory-alpha.wikia.com.
- w:c:uncyclopedia:Forum:Uncyclopedia domain name (Uncyclopedia domain name change)
- w:c:uncyclopedia:Forum:Decisions Time Folks - Let's Be Organized for a Change (further discussion)
- w:c:memorybeta:Forum:URL change (Memory Beta domain name change)
- -- Cid Highwind 11:16, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
- Also, We talked about this before. Forum:Like your domain name? Basically, it is on the record that everyone hates this, but even if you bitch a thousand pages, it won't matter, Wikia's doing it anyway. I really expected more now that Obama won the election.... --It's Bp, trust me.
- Hey, what do you want? His motto was "Yadda yadda Change something something", after all - or wasn't it? I'm not sure, I've always been more interested in his Blackberry and what his wive will wear for the next dinner party! Anyway, yeah... what you said... and I said... and everybody else said. -- Cid Highwind 20:34, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- UPDATE: According to this, the domain name change is not happening, "for now." --bp 02:20, 27 February 2009 (UTC)