I was wondering other people's opinion on this idea. Should we add sound effects to pages (e.g. a transporter sound effect on the transporter page), like the main title sound files we added on the star trek series pages? I was wondering because I already uploaded a phaser sound file and I wanted to know other people's opinion on this. --Galaxy001 03:12, 1 February 2006 (UTC)
- I like the idea, but I'm also a little worried about it taking up to much space. Also, I wonder if people would really care all that much about sound effects. Theme music is intimately tied to the show, but sound effects, although recognizable, are not nearly as special to people.docdude316 20:25, 1 February 2006 (UTC)
- I don't know MA's server situation and expenses, but the site is often sluggish on my end already, without the bells and whistles (ahem). I don't see much informational value in sound clips, and it might just attract junk traffic from collectors building their own libraries. In the future, if MA can afford the bandwidth without a hit on performance, it might be feasible. --Aurelius Kirk 20:56, 1 February 2006 (UTC)
Is there any way to ask the makers of MA? If they have user names, we could just add an idea to there discussion pages. Just an idea. I don't want to give them too much trouble. --Galaxy001 00:49, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
- A lot of people turn the speakers off while browsing the internet because some pages spam around with sound effects, often far too loud. So I don't think we should start this here, it's too annoying in the mass. --Memory 23:12, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
- Just to clarify: Memory Alpha is hosted by Wikia (Wikicities) and therefore technically does not have a server or bandwidth restriction as far as I know. That's not to say we should upload any file, but we don't have to worry about additional charges or something (it's free anyway).
- Having sound files can be useful, and it has been done on some pages (Borg, "Tribunal", "The Wire" are the only ones I remember seeing media links on). There's no way to make them automatic on MediaWiki so that's not even a consideration if anyone's worry about it. The only real catch is that the files have to be in OGG format. But adding a few sounds here and there could be nice and even prove helpful. --Vedek Dukat Talk | Duty Roster 00:05, 5 February 2006 (UTC)