(written from a Production point of view)
Yu previously worked for Star Trek director/producer J.J. Abrams on an episode of Abrams' first television series, Felicity, in 2000. More recently, Yu was seen in the Abrams-produced 2008 monster movie Cloverfield, along with fellow Star Trek actors Billy Brown, Tim Griffin, and Pasha Lychnikoff.
Yu began his television and film career with a recurring role as Freddy Gong on the WB series Popular. His TV credits since then have included guest spots on Frasier (starring Kelsey Grammer), ER (with Megan Cole), Las Vegas (starring Nikki Cox), Without a Trace (starring Enrique Murciano), Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (with Cyia Batten and Steven Weber), CSI: Miami (starring Robert Joy), and Bones (with Ellen Geer).
Yu's first film was the 2003 comedy The Utopian Society. He later made an uncredited appearance in the 2005 film Elizabethtown, starring Kirsten Dunst and Bruce McGill. The following year, Yu had a supporting role in the comedy Grandma's Boy. Yu also had a supporting role in the 2008 Academy Award-winning biographical political drama Milk.
In addition, Yu has starred in several short films, including 2006's My Prince, My Angel, co-starring and produced by Star Trek: Enterprise's Linda Park. Yu later appeared on Park's ABC series Women's Murder Club, in an episode also featuring Star Trek: Voyager's Robert Picardo and the aforementioned Tim Griffin. Yu also had a lead role in the 2007 short film Fortune Hunters.
Other Trek connections
- Any Day Now episode "Rebel with a Cause" (2002, with Holmes Osborne)
- Life with Bonnie pilot (2002, with Cristine Rose and Tom Virtue)
- Judging Amy episode "Motion Sickness" (2003, with Maury Sterling and Steve Vinovich)
- Duck (2005 film, with Larry Cedar and Bill Cobbs)
- Area 57 (2007 TV pilot, with Bruce McGill)
- If I Had Know I Was A Genius (2007 film, with Nikita Ager and Whoopi Goldberg)
- The Closer episode "Culture Shock" (2007, with Raymond Cruz)
- Dirty Sexy Money episode "The Italian Banker" (2007, with Michelle Krusiec and Zoe McLellan)