(written from a Production point of view)
|Author(s):||Michael Westmore, Alan Sims, Bradley M. Look, and William J. Birnes|
Star Trek: Aliens & Artifacts is a reference book which provides a behind-the-scenes description of the makeup and props in Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. The book includes an introduction by Patrick Stewart and comments by Michael Dorn, Rene Auberjonois, Armin Shimerman and Ethan Phillips on the makeup of their respective characters.
- From the book jacket
- Special bonus: a section that will show you how to re-create your own makeup as well as create your own props, using readily available items.
- Words on paper. Without the resourceful, innovative, almost magical talents of the untold hundreds of behind-the-scenes people who have worked on Star Trek, those and countless other futuristic marvels would be just that – words on paper. For years the major responsibility for making it all real for viewing audiences has fallen to people like Academy Award®-winning makeup supervisor Michael Westmore and property master Alan Sims, and their incredible staff of artisans. These modern-day dream shapers have guarded their award-winning secrets with national security-level caution... until today.
- The veil of secrecy is pulled back in Star Trek: Aliens & Artifacts. Through dozens of rare sketches, photographs, and designs, discover how those remarkable craftspeople made the fantastic vistas, creatures, and technology encountered every week. You'll be amazed at how low-tech some of these hi-tech wonders really are!
- Who decided to make the Andorian blue? Of what was the belt on the original Klingon costume made? Was the first phaser really a block of wood? All your questions will be answered in Star Trek: Aliens & Artifacts!
- Dedication to Rick Berman
- Introduction by Patrick Stewart
- Chapter 1: The Pilots - "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
- Chapter 2: Star Trek
- The First Season
- The Second Season
- The Third Season
- The Standout Props
- Chapter 3: Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Interview material from Michael Westmore, including a section called "Michael Westmore on 'The Process'"
- Early Makeup Concepts on TNG 
- Data 
- The Ferengi 
- The Romulans 
- The Vulcans 
- The Bajorans
- The Cardassians 
- The Borg 
- The Third of Five and the Evolution of the Borg
- A section called "Michael Westmore on aging makeup"
- The TNG props section includes information about "The Combadge", "The Small Hand Phaser: type-1 and type-2", "The Tricorder", "Holsters", "Backpacks and Utility Luggage", "Geordi's VISOR", and comments from Alan Sims in a sections entitled "Alan Sims on Matt Jefferies, Technology, and Props" and "My Concept of Prop Design" section, the latter featuring information regarding "Eating Utensils", "Card Games", "Higher Resolution Television", "Klingon Weapons", "Borg Props", and "The Game"
- Chapter 4: The Next Generation Alien Roll Call
- The Traveler
- Leyor of the Caldonians
- The Bolians
- Anticans and Selays
- The Malcorians
- Ultraviolet Light Beings of Tarchannen III
- The Trill
- The J'naii
- The "Allegiance" Aliens
- Barclay's Protomorphosis Syndrome
- The Nausicaans
- The Ullians
- The Satarrans
- Tamarians and Captain Dathon
- The Tamarian Monster
- Chapter 5: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Chapter 6: Deep Space Nine Alien Roll Call
- Chapter 7: Star Trek: Voyager
- The Ocampan
- A section named "Michael Westmore on the Talaxians"
- A section called "Michael Westmore on the Borg, Seven of Nine, the Borg Queen, and One"
- Seven of Nine
- The Borg Queen
- The Voyager Borg
- Captain Proton
- The Kazon
- The Hirogen
- Tom Paris "Threshold" Alien
- The Vidiians
- The Malons or the "Garbage Pail Men"
- Tova Veer of the Voth
- Pralor Automated Personal Unit
- The Haakonians
- Leonardo da Vinci
- The VOY props section, entitled "Alan Sims on Voyager props", with his comments about "Weapons", "Scanning and Transcribing Devices", "Medical Apparatus", "Borg Props", "Borg Bikes", "Captain Proton Props", "Alien Props and Weapons", "Kazon Weapons", "Hirogen Weapons", "Twenty-ninth Century Gadgetry", and "Spider Props"
- Chapter 8: How to Create Your Own Aliens & Artifacts
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 This part of the book features commentary from Michael Westmore. Whereas his remarks in the TNG section on Vulcans pertain only to Sarek and Spock, his comments on the TNG Borg are much more extensive, addressing such topics as "Borg Electronics", "Borg Babies", and Locutus of Borg.